New Windsor fire and gas bottle safety media statement

Fire and Emergency New Zealand

New Windsor fire and gas bottle safety media statement

To be attributed to Jason Goffin, Fire Risk Management Officer, Fire and Emergency New Zealand. 

The house fire in New Windsor on the morning of Tuesday 4 July was an accidental fire and is not being treated as suspicious. The fire was caused by an LPG gas leak around the oven which was ignited when a light switch was turned on. The gas leak igniting is what caused the explosion which many residents heard.
Fire and Emergency New Zealand wants to remind people to check their gas bottles are safe:

  • Ensure you regularly check and maintain any gas fittings and connections - Make sure the cylinder is turned off when you've finished using it.
  • Have all gas appliances serviced according to manufacturer instructions.
  • Check your gas bottle connections for leaks with the soap bubble test. You can do this by pouring a little soapy solution (1/4 cup of water and a squirt of liquid suds) over the valve. If any bubbles are created, you may have a gas leak.
  • If you do smell gas, get out of the house and call 111. 

For more fire safety information, visit our website or check out our Fast Fire Facts videos on youtube.

---ENDS---

Media Contact: Lucy Ashby 027 591 8837