Fire & Emergency New Zealand

Fireworks and pyrotechnic displays

The person in charge of a pyrotechnics display needs our written permission before you can hold any indoor or outdoor pyrotechnic display.

Pyrotechnics (which include fireworks) are a class 1 category G hazardous substance. For the legislation details, see section 9.34 and s 9.35 of the Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Regulations 2017.

Download the application form for where you plan to put on your display:

Complete your application

Include all the relevant information, so we can process your application promptly.

Your application needs to comply with sections 9.34 and s 9.35 of the Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Regulations 2017.

When we check your application, we need your answers to show us that:

  • your plans reflect the complexity and size of the display
  • you worked with appropriate people to plan the display, such as the event organiser and:
    • for outdoor events, the land owner
    • for indoor events, the pyrotechnician.

If you have any questions you can call us on 0800 734 2667.

Note: For indoor pyrotechnic displays, no approved code of practice currently exists under the Hazardous Substances and New Organisms Act 1996 (HSNO).

Send in your application

Send your completed application and display plan to our Regulatory Compliance Group. You can submit by:

Our timing for processing your application

When you apply for our permission to hold a pyrotechnics display, make sure you apply in time. We need at least eight working days to process your application.

Our decision could take longer if we have to contact you about your application. For example, we will write to you if:

  • information is missing or clearly wrong
  • we are concerned about your controls.